The Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream provides a pathway to Canadian permanent residence for Express Entry candidates who meet specified labour market needs in the province.
This unique stream is flexible and the specified occupations and criteria may vary from draw to draw, depending on Nova Scotia’s labour market and social needs.
Candidates interested in applying under this stream must have a valid federal Express Entry profile under one of the three federal economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSW);
- Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC); and
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
To apply for a provincial nomination under Nova Scotia’s Labour Market Priorities stream, candidates in the Express Entry pool must:
- Receive a Letter of Interest from the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration (NSOI) in their Express Entry profile;
- Meet draw-specific eligibility criteria outlined in the draw announcement posted by the NSOI;
- Demonstrate that they meet the work experience requirements for their Express Entry class (i.e. FSW, FSTC AND CEC);
- Have the required supporting documentation/letters of reference from employers to demonstrate work experience;
- Show sufficient settlement funds to successfully settle in Nova Scotia alone or with accompanying family members and pay the required immigration costs and travel expenses. The NSOI will not approve an application if it seems likely that the family income (based on your job offer and any spousal income) will be below Statistics Canada’s Low Income Cut-Off (LICO); and
- Have legal status in their country of residence when applying for the stream.
Draw-specific eligibility requirements
Express Entry candidates may be invited to apply for a provincial nomination certificate based on criteria specified by the NSOI in the draw announcement. The NSOI says eligibility criteria may be different for each draw and depends on Nova Scotia’s labour market needs.
Candidates in the Express Entry pool are encouraged to review the criteria specified on the NSOI’s website.
Work experience requirements
Applicants also will be required to demonstrate that they have the required work experience in a priority occupation specified by the NSOI and provide the required supporting documentation.
The NSOI says that Express Entry candidates must show that their work experience matches the description listed in the federal government’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) that is listed in the draw announcement.