The Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) allows skilled trades workers with work experience in an eligible trade to settle permanently in Ontario through the federal Express Entry immigration system.
Because this Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) stream is Express Entry-aligned, candidates who obtain a provincial nomination through the Ontario Skilled Trades Stream receive additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points and an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for permanent residence at a future draw from the Express Entry pool.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible under the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream, candidates must:
- Have a valid profile in the federal Express Entry pool;
- Be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC);
- Indicate an interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories”, as designated in the Express Entry profile; and
- Have received a Notification of Interest from Ontario through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Express Entry online account.
Express Entry candidates must provide documentation to prove the following:
- Work Experience: A cumulative period of at least one year, paid full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) work experience in Ontario within two years from the date of issuance of the Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario. Work experience must be in a skilled trade occupation listed in Minor Group 633 or Major Group 72, 73, or 82 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
- Cumulative means work experience must add up to one year and does not have to be one year of continuous work.
- Full-time work means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week in one job and consists of at least 1,560 hours of paid employment in one year.
- Part- time equivalent experience means:
- at least 15 hours of work over a period of one week in one job and consists of at least 1,560 hours of paid employment in two years, or
- at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week in multiple concurrent jobs and consists of at least 1,560 hours of paid employment in one year.
- Note: Work experience gained as part of an Apprenticeship Program may be eligible if it was paid, and the candidate performed the activities described in the lead statement for the occupation and a substantial number of the main duties as set out in the NOC. Paid work experience gained while studying full-time at a post-secondary institution (for example, on a co-op work term) and self-employment are not eligible under the CEC.
- Candidate must have held (or currently hold) the appropriate licensure if work experience being claimed is in a compulsory trade in Ontario.
- Trade Certification: A valid license or certification from the Ontario College of Trades at the time of application submission whether or not the candidate is working, or has worked, in an occupation in Ontario that requires a license or certification.
- Current Residence in Ontario: Currently residing in Ontario and have a valid work permit at the time of application submission. The OINP accepts applications made while on implied status.
- Language: A minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in English or in French in all language competencies (listening, reading, writing and speaking). Language ability must be proved with valid language test results from the following government-approved organizations:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) for English testing, or
- Test d’Evaluation Du Français (TEF) or Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF) for French testing.
- Settlement Funds: A minimum level of settlement funds. This requirement can be met by one or a combination of factors listed by the OINP, such as bank statements, annual earnings from ongoing employment in Ontario, and/or a job offer in Ontario.
- Intent: An intention to reside in Ontario by providing a list of established ties to Ontario.